Monday, February 8, 2010

Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti, Fontana di Trevi e Sausage, Tortillini and Spinach Soup!

On a cold and rainy Thursday, Molly, Alicia and I decided to adventure out to the Spanish Steps.
We took the Metro (subway) which got us there in literally 5 minutes.
Breathtaking.
Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti (The Spanish Steps) is the longest and widest staircase in Europe!!
When you arrive at the top, there is an Egyptian Obelisk, and a beautiful Baroque church.
I felt just like Adurey Heburn in Roman Holiday!


The church on top the steps is truly amazing. I lit a candle inside, and we left the church and were back out in the rain.
Got back on the Metro and this time ventured out again to the Trevi Fountain.



It is so gorgeous. Much more beautiful than any picture taken. I drank from the side fountain, then threw in my coin.
I shall return to Rome!
The Trevi Fountain is MUCH bigger and MUCH more beautiful than I expected. The sculptures are enormous, and the water is the most amazing crystal blue I've ever seen.

I said my prayer over my coin, kissed it for extra luck, then threw it in the fountain.

When we got home from our adventure in the cold and rain, I decided to make some soup that Kacie sent me the recipe for.
It was a sausage and spinach Tortellini soup. YUMMMMM

Heres the Recipe:

Sausage and Tortellini Soup with Spinach

½ tbs olive oil
½ lb hot Italian sausage
½ medium onion finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 pkg. fresh cheese tortellini
1 ½ cups baby spinach

Cook the sausages in a pot with hot oil – KEEP TURNING THEM.
Take sausage out and place in a bowl. IN SAME OIL, sauté onions, add garlic – for about 30 seconds.
Add broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Cut sausage and add to pot. Stir in tortellini. Cook until tender.
Stir in spinach until just wilted (About 1 minute)
Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.

Thats it for now!
Ciao Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment