Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Borghese Gardens and The Sunday Papal Blessing



Alicia and I went in search of the Bocca Della Verita yesterday so we got on the Metro and got of at the Piazza del Popolo. There was a HUGE protest going on - I couldn't tell, but I saw a lot of anti-mafia banners and t-shirts.

Alicia and I made our way up some stairs to see the view - when we saw another set of stairs we walked up and found what we later learned were the Borghese Gardens. There were busts all over the HUGE park and we walked around for hours. It was such a beautiful day ( I FINALLY got a chance to wear my sandals!!! ) There was a small pond adorned with a Greek style monument with row-boat rentals, and the swans all around made it so picturesque.



We kept walking and found the Roman Globe Theatre, but it was closed!
From there we walked back to the Piazza di Spagna, and took the Metro home.
The Borghese Gardens go on my Top Ten Most Beautiful Places in Italy list - which seems to grow and grow every weekend that I go exploring!!

Then when I got home I took a shower and got ready - Anne's friend who is studying abroad in Spain came to Rome for the weekend, and we all went out to dinner in Trastevere. I had the Gnocci al Gargonzola - AMAZING.
The waiter brought us free Limoncello shots after dinner.

We went to a Pasticceria (bakery) and I found my favorite kind of Italian cookie! It was a great ending to a great night out.
We caught the bus back home where I studied for my midterm for a little while before falling asleep early.

I woke up this morning (Sunday) and decided to see the Pope, and receive the Papal Blessing! I got dressed, and brought Mom's rosary with me - she gave it to me to get it blessed by the Pope! And made my way to the Vatican.
When I got close I decided to stop at the little shops near the vatican to get a few various souvenirs to get blessed.
(Including a rosary for myself made out of crushed rose petals - it smells amazing)

I go to the Vatican almost every day. I sit, observe, watch, listen and soak it in. Its my favorite place to be. But today, there was a whole different feeling. Seeing the many thousands of people packed into the square, anxiously awaiting the Pope. As soon as I stepped foot into the Piazza, I started crying. It was just so amazing.



I waited about 20 minutes before the Pope came out and performed his blessing - I took a video of almost the whole thing! :)
It was truly an amazing experience, I felt so blessed to be there and experience it.
At that moment it hit me that many Pilgrims make that very trip, some only once in their lifetime and I have to opportunity to experience it 8 more times before I leave.



It brought a lot into perspective for me - including getting those extra couple hours of sleep. Some people will NEVER get to experience what I've been given the opportunity to experience. Its time to get out there and start experiencing it.

Taking it all in - the crowd going wild (as if at a goal at a tied soccer match) when the Pope came to the window - cheering when he blessed the individual nationalities - especially when he blessed the Italians - you would have thought AS Roma scored a winning goal against Lazio (their biggest rivals).
The nuns in their full habits, holding their rosaries in their hands, as they looked up to the pope.
The little girl next to me smiling and pointing " il Papa! il Papa!" (the Pope! the Pope!)

It was definitely an amazing experience that I'll cherish forever, and definitely do every Sunday after this.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. girl...now you gotta go to mass every week when you come home! ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete