Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sofficini a la Hillary!

After a long day in class, and a far walk home, I decided I would treat myself to a nice meal.
But wait... I forgot to go grocery shopping. :(
I've never been able to make a "mom-meal" - mostly everyone who is reading this knows the definition, but I'll explain what a "mom-meal" is anyway..

A "mom-meal" is a meal that only mom could make. She would go through the cupboards, get the most random ingredients (that we always seemed to overlook) and have a delicious meal made in no time, to satisfy our stomaches.
So thats a "mom-meal", and now back to my dilemma.
All I have is 2 frozen sofficini, a box of frozen peas, a bunch of tomatoes, a head of garlic, about 1/4 of a red pepper, the last little bit of my jar of barilla basil pasta sauce (which lasted quite a while!) and olive oil.

Ok.. I roll up my sleeves, its "mom-meal" time.

I heat up the oil in a small frying pan and add the sofficini (basically a fried dough with spinach and mozzarella filling).
While those are browning on both sides, I cut up 5-6 small tomatoes, the red pepper, and a clove of garlic.
When the sofficini are brown on both side, and cooked through (no longer frozen in the middle), I took them out and put them in my bowl.
I threw out the olive oil, and coated the bottom of the pan with fresh oil (not too much). I added the tomatoes, garlic, red peppers, and frozen peas and reduced the heat. I kept tossing them until the garlic was done, and the peas were no longer frozen.
While that was happening, I cut the sofficini into quarters.
Next, I spooned the vegetables on top of the quartered sofficini and added the basil pasta sauce on top of the whole thing!
So delicious.

I asked my chef Kacie for ideas on how to make it better. It was just so good! Maybe some more fresh mozarella? Maybe some sort of bean? I'll try MANY variations on the meal and keep you posted!
MY first "mom-meal" was a success!

I was so good that I looked up a recipe for Sofficini (as it is ONLY sold in Italy) AND FOUND ONE!
I can't wait to try my hand at home-made Sofficini!
Anyway, here is the recipe:

Ingredients: 1cup flour - 1cup milk - 1tbs butter- 1 pinch of salt - 1 egg - breadcrumbs - oil for frying

In a saucepan place milk, butter and salt and bring to boil. Tip the flour in - all in one go - and stir well with a wooden spoon till you obtain a ball of paste that has left the sides of the saucepan clean. Cook again for few minutes then take off heat. Roll out the pastry then cut circles with a cup or a glass, place the filling, then close the circle and press the pastry edges together to seal. Coat them one by one, first in beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Fry the sofficini into a deep frying pan (you'll need few minutes until they have turned a nice brown colour) and serve hot.

I washed down my dinner with some Panettone (YUM) and am just getting ready for bed.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment