Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Sto Piovende" ("Its Raining")

The Roman Rain is my favorite thing here, and as I am officially at the half-way point (AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!)
I decided to take a video of the rain out my window on my street to remember the sight and sound forever.
It starts with the dog across the street, sleeping just out of the way of the rain, down to the orange tree in the courtyard of my apartment building, down to the busy street in front of me, and ending again with the dog. (I can't help it - he's too cute!)
Enjoy :)



My Italian Professor told us in class that its not normal for it to rain this much in Italy..
I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I love hearing it hit my windows, and seeing the shadows it casts from outside at night.
I love stepping in puddles, I love how it cleanses the city, how it perfumes my clothes when they're out drying.
I love how violent the Tiber River flows after a hard rain, pushing over its banks and bringing tree branches down its path.
I love the Italians and all their umbrellas, a sigh of relief as they step onto the 23 and shake off their umbrellas as they find an open seat.
I love staring out the window in class as the rain falls.
I love way the plants on the Terrace are that much greener, thankful for their drink.
I love seeing old men standing in the doorway of Tabacci's with their hand out, feeling the rain, deciding when to leave the dry warmth and head to their destinations.
I love walking in the rain, feeling it on my face when I move my umbrella.
I love seeing Italian children in their bright rain boots stomping through, their old grandmothers holding their hand, but away from their bodies to avoid getting splashed.
I love the soggy newspapers used as makeshift umbrellas as we get off the Metro.
I love everything about this Roman Rain.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment