Thursday, January 14, 2010

Rome in one day...

So, today was eventful to say the least. The girls and I from the apartment went looking for the Trevi Fountain after Orientation and well... We found the Pantheon, The Colosseum, The Roman Forum, Etruscan Ruins, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We must have walked so far today. It was amazing, but I just felt like I crammed it all too much, and wanted to spend more time at every monument.

My favorite place was the Pantheon, I got Mango gelato and ate it on the steps of the fountain right outside the Pantheon. GORGEOUS. So the sales here are so fabulous - I'm going back to get a pair of black and brown boots tomorrow - they were only 35 euro!

The Colosseum was breathtaking - and came out of nowhere! We crossed the street, turned the corner, and there it was. The Colosseum. I can't wait to go inside it, but heard that it was expensive. :( Oh well! When in Rome!! (We also discovered the Colosseum Bar Crawl - it starts at midnight and follows all the bars around the Colosseum, you end watching the sun rise on a hill overlooking the Colosseum - we're planning that soon, I'll let you know!!)

The Roman Forum was crazy. Seeing all those statues was just so crazy. Knowing they've been there for so long. Its breathtaking.

There are Etruscan Ruins EVERYWHERE. They're so gorgeous. The bright green grass under the fallen columns. So gorgeous. As we were standing there admiring them, a man came up with the most beautiful scarves I've seen ever! I didn't want to buy the first scarves I saw though.. So I said "no - grazi" and kept walking (we later found another stand and I indulged myself in two GORGEOUS scarves - one green and one pink.) All I need to know now is how to tie a scarf like an European!

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was also breathtaking, and in the middle of a city. I love how Urban Roma is (except for the graffiti EVERYWHERE). It was so beautiful.

We also walked through the Vatican again before we realized that we would be walking through St. Peter's Square EVERY DAY ON THE WAY TO CLASS. It makes me so happy. I also realized that on the way back from dinner, all the pictures I show and all the explaining I do will NEVER serve the Vatican at night justice. Its so gorgeous. I can't wait to just stand and look, and become familiar with the Vatican.

I bought my first bottle of wine today - only 5.50 euro! (I'm sure a massive hangover will ensue).
We also started talking about where we wanted to travel first. Alicia's birthday is next Friday, and we're most likely going to Rome or Napoli. I can't wait.

I ordered my first gelato and dinner in full Italian today. It was so exciting! When I bought my scarves I also only spoke Italian. Its just so real, I'm here. I've seen all these things, and I can interact with the locals. It makes me so happy to see what I can accomplish.

Its chilly outside, but we don't care - we're going out.

Gelato flavor of the day: Mango

CIAO!

(I know I promised pictures today, but I need my camera for tonight, so I'll either upload tonight after the bars, or tomorrow morning.)
Ok,
CIAO!

No comments:

Post a Comment